Modal Auxiliary Verbs May - Example Sentences

Modal Auxiliary Verbs May - Example Sentences
Modal Auxiliary Verbs May - Example Sentences

Definition of Modal Auxiliary Verbs May 

May is a modal auxiliary verb. It is used for all persons in the present and future tense. The negative of may is may not, and the contracted form is mayn't.


May is used to:


1. Indicate offers of help.

May is also used when you are offering to do something for someone.

Examples:

  • May I help you?
  • May I be of service to you?

2. Indicate a request.

Examples:

  • May I have a cigarette?
  • May we have something to eat?
  • May I ask what your name is?
  • May I know what he wants?
  • May I know where she is going?
  • May I know where Umesh lives?
  • May I have a word with you, please?


3. Seek permission.

Examples:

  • May I come in?
  • May I call on you tomorrow?
  • May I leave now?
  • May I suggest another time?
  • May I go home now?
  • May I make a suggestion?
  • May I accompany Maya?
  • May I sit down?

 

4. Indicate suggestions.

You can also make suggestions using the expression may as well. This expression is used to show that it is not important to you whether your suggestion is accepted or not.

Examples:

  • You may as well open them all.
  • We may as well stop doing this work.
  • We may as well give hIM a copy of the resolution.


5. Grant permission.

Examples:

  • You may speak.
  • You may go home now.
  • He may do exactly as she likes.
  • You may leave when you have finished the work.
  • You may ask for anything you want.
  • Swayam may go home.
  • He may see me if he wishes.
  • Passengers may cross by the footbridge.
  • You may use my pencil.

Note:’Can’ can be used to seek or grant permission. But the use of may is considered more polite and more formal.


4. Express possibility.

Another common use of may is to express the possibility that something will happen in the near future, especially when that possibility is uncertain.

Examples:

  • This book may be Anand's.
  • He works hard now. he may pass.
  • This medicine may cure your fever.
  • I may go out for a walk now.
  • She may come home today.
  • You may not reach on time.
  • That may be true.
  • It may rain today.
  • He may be waiting at the station when we arrive.
  • It may be correct.
  • What she says, may be true.
  • She may come today.
  • He may attend the meeting.
  • The meeting may be postponed.


5. Express strong possibility.

If you put well after may, you are indicating that it is fairly likely that something is the case.

Examples:

  • I think that he may well be right.
  • When it is finished, it may well be the largest temple in India.
  • This may well have been his intention.
  • You may well say so.
  • He may well get injured.


6. Express negative possibility.

 You use may not to say that it is possible that something is not the case.

Examples:

  • That may not sound very imposing.
  • That may not be true.
  • He may not come today.
  • She may not attend college today.
  • It may rain today.


7. Indicate uncertainty.

May with have can also be used to mean that it is possible that something was the case, but you do not know whether it was the case or not.

Examples:

  • I may have seemed to be over-reacting.
  • Your grandfather may have secretly married a rich but very beautiful widow.
  • She may have been to blame.
  • He may have come by train.

 

9. Indicate approval.

 May can also be used to mention an opinion or a way of describing something.

Examples:

  • This, it may be added, greatly strengthened her in her determination.
  • Your rude behaviour, I may say, angered him much.


 11. Express a hope or wish.

Examples:

  • May God bless you with one son and two daughters!
  • May you live a long, happy and prosperous life!
  • May he justify our hopes and rise to the top!
  • Long may you continue to do it!
  • May you be a happy and prosperous!
  • May God have mercy on you!
  • May you succeed in life!
  • May you both be very happy!
  • Long may she live to enjoy her good fortune!
  • May you always be happy!
  • May his soul rest in eternal peace in heaven!
  • May you prosper, my son!

 

12. Indicate a purpose

Examples:

  • I shall write today so that she may know when to expect me.
  • He works hard so that he may secure very good marks in the examination.
  • We eat so that we may live.
  • He works hard so that he may pass.

 

13. Indicate prohibition.

May not is used to say that something is forbidden, for example because of a rule or law.

Examples:

If the publisher decides to opt for a net price, the retailer may not sell that book below the publisher's price

You may not stay out until midnight.

 

14. Ask for information.

Examples:

Well, who may you be?

How old may she be?




Post a Comment (0)
Previous Post Next Post