Tenses - Tense chart in English

 Table of Content



TENSES
Tenses - Tenses chart in English
 Tenses - Tenses chart in English


What are Tenses in English Grammar? 


Tenses is defined as the form of the Verb that gives the relation between Time and Action. Time describes the duration of work and action describes the work done. Tense gives the time when the action is done.

TIME

ACTION

STATE

PRESENT

He does his homework.

He is very idle.

PAST

He did his homework.

He was very idle in his boyhood.

FUTURE

He will do his homework.

He will be idle in his old age.


Types of Tense in English  


  1. PRESENT TENSE
  2. PAST TENSE
  3. FUTURE TENSE

  • Present Tense expresses actions in the present time. 
  • Past Tense expresses actions in the past time.
  • Future Tense expresses actions in the future time.

Each tense is further divided into four forms👇

  • Simple present/Indefinite Tense
  • Continuous Tense
  • Perfect Tense
  • Perfect Continuous Tense

                   

1. PRESENT TENSE: Present Tense denotes an action in the present time or a habitual truth, historical truth or universal truth.



Examples:

  • Sun rises in the east.
  • I go to school everyday.
  • We do our homework in the evening.
  • Rahul works hard near the examination.
  • They goes to school by bus.
  • Rabbit likes to eat carrot.
  • The train leaves at 6:30.


Forms of Present Tense:

  • Present indefinite/simple present Tense
  • Present Continuous Tense
  • Present Perfect Tense
  • Present Perfect Continuous Tense

                                     

                                PRESENT TENSE CHART


Tense

Rules

Examples

Indefinite / simple

Sub+ v1

I eat. / I do.

He eats. / He does.

They eat. / They do.

Continuous

Sub+ is/am/are+ v1+ ing

I am eating. / I am doing.

He is eating. / He is doing.

They are eating. / They are doing.

Perfect

Sub+ has/have+ v3

I have eaten. / I have done.

He has eaten. / He has done.

They have eaten. / They have done.

Perfect  continuous

Sub+ has/have+ been+ v1+ ing

I have been eating. / I have been doing.

He has been eating. / He has been doing.

They have been eating. / They have been doing.



2. PAST TENSE: Past Tense is used to denote an action completed in the past or a past habit.

Examples:

  • Riya sang well in a school function.
  • Ramesh bought a new house.
  • The moon shone brightly.
  • I received your letter yesterday.
  • Gandhiji spun on the churkha everyday.


Forms of Past Tense:

  • Past indefinite/simple past Tense
  • Past Continuous Tense
  • Past Perfect Tense
  • Past Perfect Continuous Tense                                   

                                         PAST TENSE CHART


Tense

Rules

Examples

Indefinite / simple

Sub+ v2

I ate. / I did.

He ate. / He did.

They ate. / They did.

Continuous

Sub+  was/were+  v1+ ing

I was eating. / I was doing.

He was eating. / He was doing.

They were eating. / They were doing.

Perfect

Sub+ had + v3

I had eaten. / I had done.

He had eaten. / He had done.

They had eaten. / They had done.

Perfect  continuous

Sub+ had+ been+ v1+ ing

I had been eating. / I had been doing.

He had been eating. / He had been doing.

They had been eating. / They had been doing.


3. FUTURE TENSE: ðŸ‘„Future tense is used to express an action that will be done or will happen in the future time. The tense is mostly used to give information about a future event.

Examples:

  • My father will arrange a big party on my birthday     
  • I shall become a doctor when I grow up.
  • We will play the match tomorrow.
  • My father will come back nextL week.
  • I shall go to Manali tomorrow.

Forms of Future Tense:

  • Future indefinite/simple Future Tense
  • Future Continuous Tense
  • Future Perfect Tense
  • Future Perfect Continuous Tense

                                   FUTURE TENSE CHART

Tense

Rules

Examples

Indefinite / simple

Sub+ will+ v1

I will eat. / I will do.

He will eat. / He will do.

They will eat. / They will do.

Continuous

Sub+  will be+ v1+ ing

I will be eating. / I will be doing.

He will be eating. / He will be doing.

They will be eating. / They will be doing.

Perfect

Sub+ will have + v3

I will have eaten. / I will have done.

He will have eaten. / He will have done.

They will have eaten. / They will have done.

Perfect  continuous

Sub+ will have+ been+ v1+ ing

I will have been eating. / I will have been doing.

He will have been eating. / He will have  been doing.

They will have been eating. / They will have been doing.


Post a Comment (0)
Previous Post Next Post