Use of Will


Use of Will



Will is a modal auxiliary verb: The negative of will is will not, and the contracted form is won't.


Will is used:


1. With the first person to indicate determination

Examples: 


  • We will root corruption.
  • I will never work with her
  • I will fight for my rights.
  • I will stop drinking.
  • We will stop smoking.
  • I will give her a sumptuous party.
  • We will finish the work in two days.
  • I will not allow you to stand in my way
  • I will do or die.
  • We will have our way.
  • I will win the prize at any cost.
  • I will lay down my life for the sake of our motherland.


2. With the second person and the third person to indicate future predictions.

Examples: 

  • You will learn it gradually.
  • Sundar will be seventeen next week.
  • She will leave for America tomorrow.
  • He will be twenty next birthday.
  • They will entreat her to dance.
  • You will be in time if you hurry.
  • He will start school soon.
  • How long will you be staying in Paris?
  • He will not be in time unless he hurries.
  • If today is Sunday, tomorrow will be Monday.
  • You will be in Britain this time tomorrow.

Note: Will is sometimes used to talk about present situations

Example: You will not feel much love for her at the moment.


3. With second person to indicate a polite invitation.

Examples: 

  • Will you attend my birthday party?
  • Will you be free to come to dinner tomorrow night?
  • Will you have another cup of tea?
  • Will you have glass of water, Madam?


4. With the first person to indicate willingness or offer.

Examples: 

  • We will help her with money as and when she needs.
  • I will lend you my book.
  • We will supply the goods you require.
  • I will talk to her on your behalf.
  • We will help you at every stage of the project.
  • I will attend her marriage.
  • We will help you in this matter.


5. With the second person in questions, making polite requests.

Examples:

  • Will you come in?
  • Will you shut the door?
  • Will you please come back later?
  • Will you type two copies of this letter for me?
  • Will you please post this letter for me?
  • Will you please pass the salt?
  • Will you lend me ten rupees?


6. With the first person to express threat.

Examples: 

  • I will kill you if you abuse me again.
  • 1 will punish her for her misdeeds.
  • I will have him arrested.
  • I will beat you black and blue.
  • I will turn you out of the house.
  • I will dismiss you if you disobey me.
  • I will teach you a bitter lesson.
  • I will shoot you dead if you move.


7. With the first person to indicate promise

Examples: 

  • I will not ask for money again.
  • I will not take more than two hours.
  • We will give him warm reception.
  • I will try to do better the next time.
  • I will help you every month.
  • I will pay back your money next month.
  • I will give her prize if she passes the examination in the first division.
  • I will give you the novel as soon as 1 have read it.


8. To give an order

Examples:

  • You will carry out these instructions and report back this afternoon.
  • Will you be quiet?
  • Will you stop bothering me?


9. To describe general truths

Examples: 

  • Oil will float on water.
  • Engines will not run without lubricants.


10. To describe habits in the present or past.

Examples: 

  • Shayama will listen to records, alone in her room, for hours.
  • Saraswati will spend hours on the telephone.


11. With the first person to indicate intention.

Examples: 

  • We will stay here.
  • I will go home today.
  • I will meet her tomorrow.
  • I will write again some time.
  • I will go to Nepal to see a friend of mine.
  • I will never betray you.
  • I will buy a good dictionary.
  • We will not accept your proposal.
  • We will go to see the match on the second day.



12. In the second person, both shall and will are used according to the answer expected in the interrogative sentences.

Examples: 

  • Will you come tomorrow? - Yes, I will
  • Will you lend me ten rupees? - Yes, I will.
  • Shall you see her this evening? - Yes, I shall


13. To indicate a prediction or an assumption.

Examples: 

  • She will never deceive me.
  • You will have heard about her sad and sudden demise.
  • He will have delivered the letters to the persons concerned.
  • You will already have gathered that I do not like her.
  • If he does not mend his ways, he will be ruined.
  • He will have arrived in Delhi by now.
  • Most readers will have heard of A.I.D.S.2
  • That will be young Mamta there.


14. To indicate insistence on the part of the subjects

Examples: 

  • Asha will comb on her the hair part at table, even though she knows I do not like it.
  • He will keep telling those dreadful stories
  • She will leave her books lying around.


15. To inquire about the intention, willingness or wish of the person spoken to.

Examples:

  • Will you accompany her to the airport?
  • Will they agree to my proposal?
  • Will you concede to their demands?
  • Who will lend me thirty rupees rupees until tomorrow?


16. To indicate necessity

If you want to say that an action will be necessary in the future, you

use will have to.

Examples: 

  • You will have to make my marriage arrangements
  • They will have to pay for the repairs
  • You will have to cover it with some kind of sheeting
  • Electric clocks will have to be reset.


Note:

(a) Will is also used as a noun to mean:

(i) mental power by which a person can direct his thoughts and

actions, and influence those of others

 Examples: 

  • Man has a free will.
  • Tell me something about the freedom of the will.


(ii) control that one can use over one's own impulses.

Examples:

  • I have a strong will.
  • You have a weak will.
  • She has no will of her own.
  • Sumitra shows great strength of will.
  • Champa showed a strength of will that overcame all obstacles.


(iii) determination; strong desire.

Examples: 

  • The will to live helps a patient to recover.
  • Their marriage became a fierce battle of wills
  • Radha Rani has a boundless will to please her
  • friends and admirers
  • Where there is a will, there is a way.
  • I helped her of my own free will.
  • She may come and go at will.
  • Despite her injuries, she has not lost the will to live.
  • Do not lose your will to live.


(iv) enthusiasm; energy.

Examples: 

  • You should work with a will.
  • You will not succeed unless you work with a will.


(v) that which is desired or determined upon by somebody.

Examples: 

  • What is your will? (= What do you want?)
  • God's will be done.
  • It is the will of God.


(vi) a legal document in which a person states how he wants his

property and money to be disposed of after his death.

Examples: 

  • Have you made a will?
  • Do you intend to make a will?


(b) Will is also used as an ordinary verb to mean:


(i) make use of one's mental powers in an attempt to do some.

thing or get something.

Examples:

  • We cannot achieve success merely by willing it.
  • He thought that his grandmother's death had happened because she had willed it.


(ii) exercise will-power

Example:

  • Willing or wishing are not the same thing.


(iii) intend something; desire.

Examples: 

  • This happened because God willed it.
  • God wills that man should be happy.
  • God has willed it so.
  • You can do what you will.
  • She may come whenever she wills.


(iv) influence, control or compel, by exercising the will.

Examples: 

  • Can you will yourself to keep awake?
  • It would be convenient if we could will ourselves across lands and oceans.


(v) leave property, etc. to somebody by means of a will and testament.

Examples: 

  • Father willed me the house, and my sister the income from the investments.
  • He willed most of his money to charities.


17. Will is used with the third person in interrogative sentences

Examples: 

  • Will Kalpana come here tomorrow?
  • Will he do the work?
  • Will they attend the meeting?
  • Will he go home today?
  • You use will to say that something is certain to h happen annen or be the case.


18. To indicate certainty.

You use will to say that something is certain to happen or be the case in the future

Examples: 

  • The price of food will go up.
  • They will see everything.
  • The service will have been running for a year in August.
  • Will not is used to tell someone very firmly that he is not allowed to.


19. To indicate prohibition

Usually, the speaker has the power to prevent the hearer from doing this thing.

Examples: 

  • I will just go upstairs. - You will not.
  • Until I have cured you, you will not be leaving this place.

20. To indicate firm instructions

An instruction or order can also be given using will in a declarative sentence. This form is used when the speaker is angry or impatient

Examples: 

  • You will give me those documents now.
  • You will go and get one of your parents immediately.


Post a Comment (0)
Previous Post Next Post